Search Knowledge Base by Keyword
What’s Sample2Box add-on ? And how to use it ?
Sample2Box is a LabCollector add-on that allow users to directly scan tube/vial barcodes to automatically insert them in a plate/box and create corresponding LabCollector records, while keeping track of their locations within the LabCollector database. This can be especially useful for laboratories that have a large number of physical samples that need to be organized and tracked.
Records will then get created in all LabCollector modules that are related to a storage system, such as : Plasmids, Samples, Antibodies… etc. They can also be created in custom fields if they were related to a storage system. Please, check our Sample2Box manual for more details.
To use Sample2Box, users first need to set up their storage boxes and locations within LabCollector.
Once the boxes have been set up, users can begin adding samples to them. This can be done by going to the Sample2Box add-on.
Once inside, you will get the following tab.
A: Please note that by default, users are redirected to the “New Box” tab, which offers 3 different modes, (as shown in the screenshot above).
- 1) Select an already existing box: you can do so, by filtering its name, or by scanning its barcode. You can then choose the filling orientation (whether horizontal or vertical) and finally click on the validate button.
- A: Here you can scan your label. Please, don’t forget to click Enter to validate it.
- B: For each tube/vial, users can add a corresponding name. (By default, the name will be the barcode if no other name was given to the tube/vial).
- C: Here you can select the data module in which you want to input the vials/tubes. Please, note that if you select the “Samples” module, you’ll be able to define the sample type.
- 2) Create a new box (based on a model): select your preferred box model, then your filling orientation (whether you want it to be horizontal or vertical), and click on validate. Once done, you will get the following tab.
- 1: Choose the Data Module: here you have the option to choose the module in which you want to input your data, this could be the “samples” module or any other module such as “Reagents & supplies”, or “equipment”.
- 2: Sample type for all: this option is only accessible when you select “Samples” as a Data module, it will allow you to select the type you want for all your samples.
- 3: Box/plate name/ID: Enter the name / ID of your box/plate. Please note that you can also directly scan its barcode into this field.
- 4: Storage location: Enter the location in which the box or plate will be stored.
- 5: Drawer & position in drawer: you have the option to specify which drawer and position within the drawer where the box or plate will be stored, you can also leave it empty without selecting any drawer to leave it floating.
- 6: Box/plate type: you can choose whether you want a box (with grid divider) or a microplate / tube array.
- 7: Box/plate general description: you can provide a general description of the box or plate, such as a brief comment or any special features you want to mention.
- 8: Owner: you must specify the owner of the box or plate.
- 3) Create your own box model: to do so, select the number of rows and columns, note that it will automatically give you the number of wells you are going to have (as shown in the example below).
Then, all you have to do is select your filling orientation (whether horizontal or vertical), and click on validate.
B: When you click on “Direct Scan“, a new tab will appear (as shown in the screenshot below).
With the Direct Scan mode, users can directly scan tube/vial barcodes to automatically insert them in a plate/box and create corresponding LabCollector records whitin the Samples module.
You can start by scanning/entering the box barcode/ID, the corresponding box map will then appear right below. Then, you can start by scanning your samples barcode while selecting their position within the box map.
Once finished, click on the Update button, your records are then added to the Samples module.
C: When you click on “Rack Scan“, a new tab will appear (as shown in the screenshot below).
With the Rack Scan mode, users can use a Rack Scan to create records and their box coordinates in a few clicks with different options of storage.
After choosing your scanner and scanning the rack, different options will be available depending on your database, please refer to our manual for more details.
- Check our Sample2box manual for more details.
- Read our KB on How to change parameters in I-Collector.
- Read our KB on How to connect Parser to I-Collector.